The Ministers of Education in all states and territories have made a commitment that partnerships between schools with significant enrolments of Indigenous students and their Indigenous communities will be formalised through written agreements by 2010.
Ministers have requested that these agreements
- are expressed in plain language;
- enable broad community engagement in the selection of the school principal and teaching staff;
- enable community input into all school planning and decision-making processes;
- establish agreement on school goals and policies relating to matters such as attendance and academic achievement;
- provide greater flexibility in the development and adaptation of curricula, while maintaining high educational standards;
- provide flexibility in the operation of the school and use of resources;
- are referred to Indigenous Education Consultative Bodies for information; and
- are sustainable over time, irrespective of change of principal, and renegotiated to suit changing demands.